Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Just Started Reading...Lifel1k3(Lifelike) by Jay Kristoff

It’s nice having a family member who works in a bookshop! In this case, it’s my great-niece Dezzy, who has recently moved to Melbourne and is studying at Deakin University. Dezzy is a passionate reader herself and did her work experience in a school library, as well as being a library monitor at her own school. Both of those helped her get the job, which she thoroughly enjoys, doing a shift once a week.

So, Sunday might, we all went out for Mother’s Day, with my mother, my sister Mary and my sister-in-law as the three mothers whose day it was. And Dezzy grinned and offered me a bag with something square and solid in it. No special reason, she just wanted to get me a book. She knew I wouldn’t have it, because it has just come out, though I have to say, it already has a lot of reviews on Goodreads. And she also got me a very pretty metal bookmark, of the kind that has jewelled beads handing from it and could also be used as a letter opener. Am I a lucky great-auntie or what?

The book is Jay Kristoff’s latest novel, Lifel1k3, (Lifelike), which has on its cover: “It’s Romeo And Juliet meets Mad Max meets X-Men , with a little bit of Bladerunner cheering from the sidelines.”

Well, yes, so far. I’m on page 46 and still waiting for Romeo And Juliet, but it started solidly with Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, moving on to Mad Max 2, some X-Men and I think I can see Bladerunner coming. And all this in the first 46 pages - well done, Jay! The book also seems to have been set up to move on to the US market. The spelling is American, some expressions are American and it’s set in the smoking ruins of California. I’ll let you know how it goes, but please remember, US readers, Jay Kristoff is ours, okay? So is Amie Kaufman, who wrote several books with him.

This is my first book by this author and so far I’m enjoying it tremendously.

I’d better go back and read some others, hadn’t I? Any fans out there among my readers? Tell me in the comments  box below.

4 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - isn't that great ... she knows the way into your heart ... and yes let us know how you get on - it's a book I haven't come across ... cheers Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

She found the way into my heart long ago. This is just reminding me why I adore her. It’s a very new book, and I suspect not your cup of tea, but I will certainly be reviewing it.

AJ Blythe said...

Hmmm, I haven't ready any but the name is so familiar I suspect one of the Barbarians have.

Sue Bursztynski said...

He’s a big name, so probably.