Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Latest Random Read: Songs That Sound Like Blood by Jared Thomas



This YA novel was sitting on our display shelf and nobody has borrowed it so far. I plucked it off the shelf and took it home and am enjoying it so far.

The author also wrote Calypso Summer, which I still have sitting on my ebook shelves, but must now go back and finish! A bit like Fiona Wood's Cloudwish, which I finished and loved, and then realised I hadn't yet got around to finishing Wildlife, the previous book in the trilogy.

Also, since this is a 2016 release, it just might end up on the CBCA shortlist. I need to get started now.

So far, so beautiful. The heroine is a singer, a Nunga from Port Augusta, a real small town in South Australia. She has been singing in pubs and clubs with her father and now is going to university in Adelaide to study in the Aboriginal Music program and hopefully become a professional musician.

I think it's going to be a lovely story, and the music is something that makes it special. I'd love to see a playlist to go with it some time!

I'm just up to the bit where she and her friend Justin are heading for the big city. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: