Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2016

Finally Reading... The Janna Chronicles by Felicity Pulman

I've had all the Janna books in my library for some time, including the last two, which the author had to self publish after her original publisher dropped them. But I've never got around to reading them before; I bought them for some of the students, who had requested them.

However, having a browse through the crime section on iBooks, I found to my delight that they are now available in ebook, published again by Momentum, the digital imprint of Pan Macmillan, which also does print on demand. The covers are new too. And it was only $4.99 and not too large a download, so I bought the first of the series, Blood Oath. I think I'll be reading the rest now.

In case you're not familiar with the series, it's a series of YA historical mysteries set during the time of  Stephen and Matilda's fight over the English throne. The heroine is a young woman who is a herbalist trained by her mother. I haven't yet read far enough for the mystery bit to start, but I'm feeling comfortable in this world, which was so well described in the Brother Cadfael novels.

Actually, the author says in her note that she was inspired by the Brother Cadfael mysteries to make her heroine a herbalist, though her sympathies lie on the side of Matilda, while the characters in the Ellis Peters books prefer Stephen.

Well, must get back to it - Chapter 5 beckons!


6 comments:

Pamela said...

Hot dang! This sounds amazing. I'm not familiar with these but I'm off to see if they're available for me to order!

Sue Bursztynski said...

The original print books were available in the U.S. I'll be interested to know whether Momentum POD books are available now. Fingers crossed!

Pamela said...

Aha! They are backordered but still available! I'm adding them to my YA fiction cart.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Excellent! I hope you and the kids enjoy them. Incidentally, my ebook version seems to have American spelling, which suggests that it might be intended at some stage for the U.S. market.

Felicity Pulman said...

Hi Sue - so glad you've lobbed into the Janna Chronicles and I hope you continue to enjoy the series! FYI - and as information for other readers too - Momentum has now been subsumed by its parent company Pan Macmillan Australia, so you'll find information about the series there and also on sites such as Amazon, where you'll also find e-books and POD (paperbacks) for sale. (And yes, I'm afraid the books were rewritten with the American market in mind!) Look out for #1 Blood Oath; #2 Stolen Child; #3 Unholy Murder; #4 Pilgrim of Death; #5 Devil's Brew; and #6 Day of Judgment to follow Janna's quest for revenge, justice - and love!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Felicity! So, can my friend Pamela already buy them in the U.S.? She's a librarian, so will need print copies.