Search This Blog

Friday, March 04, 2016

Look What I Got - A NEW Jules Verne Novel!



Well, new to me, anyway. This Verne adventure novel has been forgotten in English for some time(not in French!)till Sophie Masson, who read it in French as a child, arranged for a new translation - the first in a century - and new art. Then she did a crowd funding campaign through her imprint, Christmas Press(Eagle Books label). You'll find her guest post about it here.

I pre-ordered, of course, and am very pleased with the product. It's a gorgeous little book with the traditional built-in book mark and internal art of the old style, the kind you see in nineteenth century editions, done by the wonderful David Allan, who, I hope, might one day illustrate something of mine.... Well, I can dream. He seems to be able to adapt his style to whatever the book requires. 

The endpapers are maps of Russia and the pages are gilt-edged. A thing of beauty and that's before I've even read it, as I only picked it up from the Brighton Road post office agency this morning. I am looking forward to snuggling up with it before bed tonight. 

As for you, get your own! It should be available at the Eagle Books website.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It really is lovely. I can't remember the last time I saw gilt-edged pages. I hope what's between the gorgeous covers is as beautiful as the picture! (What is a "traditional built-in bookmark?)

Sue Bursztynski said...

I was thinking of all those old style books that had ribbon bookmarks stitched into the binding.